[torqueusers] Abaqus with PBS

Ashley Wright a2.wright at qut.edu.au
Sun Sep 11 16:43:24 MDT 2005

Hi Josh,

I set up Abaqus (6.5-4) on our cluster last week. The first thing is the
nodes in our cluster have a shared file system, we use for software
packages (for us this is called /pkg). Abaqus is installed here and so
is available on all the nodes. We also have NAT setup on the master
nodes so that Abaqus can access the license server (which is on another
network).

Assuming this is set up you need to create a site file 'abaqus_v6.env'
most of the directives are specified in the manual but here are the
important one for torque:

#Set up your MPI environment, this is for LAM which we use at QUT.
#We also use ssh instead of rsh.
mp_mpi_implementation = LAM
mp_mpirun_path = {LAM:'/usr/local/bin/mpiexec',
                  MPICH:'/usr/local/mpich-1.2.5/bin/mpirun',
                  MPICHGM:'/usr/local/mpichgm-1.2.6..14a/bin/mpirun.ch_gm'}
mp_mpirun_options = '-boot'
#mp_rsh_command = 'rsh -n -l %U %H %C'
mp_rsh_command = 'ssh -x -n -l %U %H %C'

#this is the location of the license server
abaquslm_license_file="1712 at sirius.qut.edu.au"

doc_root="http://auriga.qut.edu.au/abaqus/"

#
# QUT batch queue setup; abaqus_2cpus is the default queue
# (Using bash as the PBS interpreter is better than tcsh - fewer probs!)
#
run_mode = BATCH
scratch  = "/tmp"

max_cpus=8
cpus=2

queue_name=["abaqus_2cpus","abaqus_4cpus","abaqus_8cpus"]
queue_cmd="qsub -r n -q abaqus_nolimit -S /bin/bash -V -l nodes=1:ppn=2 %S"
abaqus_2cpus="qsub -r n -q abaqus_nolimit -S /bin/bash -V -l
nodes=1:ppn=2 %S"
abaqus_4cpus="qsub -r n -q abaqus_nolimit -S /bin/bash -V -l
nodes=2:ppn=2 %S"
abaqus_8cpus="qsub -r n -q abaqus_nolimit -S /bin/bash -V -l
nodes=4:ppn=2 %S"

Using this setup the user submits a job (from the master node) like so:
    'abaqus job=pillar queue=abaqus_8cpus cpus=8'

I hope this helps,
Ashley