[torqueusers] pbs_mom question?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Sep 9 15:13:43 MDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 01:28:39AM +0400, Alexander Zubkov alleged:
> Hi. A have a couple of questions about pbs_mom.
>
> 1) Is it important for pbshome of pbs_mom to be keep its state between
> reboots? For example, if I have diskless nodes and want to put it in
> temporary filesystem, that resides in memory (ex. ramfs or tmpfs in linux)?

There are per-job state files, job output files, and log files.  It
would be prefered to maintain the job files between reboots, you can
probably get by without it.  The importance of log files is obviously up
to you.

The output files don't have to be spooled in pbshome, see qsub's -k
option.

> 2) How musch "disk" space do pbs_mom occupy in pbshome? I found that it
> copies there stdin and stores stdout and stderr of a program. What else
> it keeps there? How much space it needs (or some exponent estimation if
> some)? Or there something else that can grow very big depending on some
> conditions?

The state files are pretty small, only 3 or 4KB per job.  At loglevel 0,
log files don't get very much.

> I need it to know to choose between to possibilities of placing pbshome
> on diskless nodes:
> - occupy some memory of the node for tempopary file system
> - make personal nfs-mounted dir for every node

I haven't done it, but I'd say some sort of memory-base filesystem is
certainly doable for pbs_mom.

University of Southern California