[torqueusers] Hostname mismatches in Torque

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Sep 6 12:10:06 MDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 03:08:58PM +0200, Lennart Karlsson alleged:
> Torque seems to name nodes in an inconsistent way when using
> an internal IP network for the compute nodes. Here comes an
> example:
>
> The PBS server node has hostname "torn", an external IP number named
> "torn" and an internal IP number named "n0".
>
> A login node has has hostname "tornado", an external IP number named
> "tornado" and an internal IP number named "l1".

The hostnames start out inconsistent so TORQUE is going to have a hard
time.

> Communication between login node, PBS server node and computer nodes
> are all the time running on the internal IP network and thus I appreciate
> that the "Job_Owner" data actually mentions the internal host name "l1".
>
> But otherwise it seems like all other job data are set to the external
> name "tornado": Error_Path, Output_Path, and PBS_O_HOST. I also
> have noted that the mom_superior (first node in job) tries to make
> a "qsub sock" connection to the external IP interface of the login node.
>
> It would be much better if all these host address references went to the
> internal IP addresses, i.e. if the host address reference in the "Job_Owner"
> data field was used also in those other places, because these host address
> will be used on the compute nodes. (Trying to reach their external IP
> addresses will probably fail, due to routing problems and/or firewalls.)
>
> I would like this change to Torque, please.
>
> Can this be made the default behavior, without wrecking havoc
> with other, existing installations?

Inside of pbs_server, there can only be one "server name".  Fortunately
this is configurable with the SERVERHOST paramater in torque.cfg:
http://www.clusterresources.com/products/torque/docs20/a.ktorquecfg.shtml#serverhost

> The second best alternative would be to configure into the pbs_server
> configuration the preferred host names to use for different submit hosts.
> In the pbs_server configuration file torque.cnf you may change the way
> the PBS server host presents itself IP-wise, but (as of my understanding)
> not the way other submit hosts present themselves.

This is handled by the $PBSHOME/server_name file on the submitting
hosts.

University of Southern California