[torqueusers] Server not talking to MOMs at all

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Thu Sep 1 14:50:23 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 16:14 -0700, Garrick Staples wrote:
> The first $clienthost listed identifies the "server" to the MOM.  It is the
> only hostname that will receive status updates from the MOM.

I would argue that this behavior is somewhere between counter-intuitive
and broken, even if it has been in PBS since the beginning of time. :)

It seems to me that the most expeditious solution to this would be to
make pbs_mom behave in a manner symmetric with pbs_server and the client
programs, i.e. use $PBS_DEFAULT as the server host[:port] if it's set,
or the contents of $PBS_HOME/server_name if it's not.  Then you can use
your favorite failover or virtualization scheme to move that IP address
between hosts for high availability purposes.

I'm going to be out for the next few days, but I may try to crank out a
patch for this when I get back next week.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701