[torqueusers] Another log_event level thought

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Sep 1 13:17:29 MDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:50:09AM -0700, Rick.Ingham at expeditors.com alleged:

> Seems to me that the current implementation of log_event class logging
> control works on message classes, such as logging all requests processed.
>
> What would be more useful in our environment would be a severity level type
> hierarchy and a way to reduce the level of logging messages based on now

The "log level" infrastructure is already in place.  pbs_server has a
"log_level" server attribute.  pbs_mom has a "$loglevel" config
parameter.  All daemons and programs use the PBSLOGLEVEL env variable.

(though i think pbs_server is a little buggy when you mix and match
log_level, PBSLOGLEVEL, and PBSDEBUG)

All that is needed is to simply wrap the actual log_record() calls with
'if (LOGLEVEL >= X)' blocks.  You can grep the source and see that most
calls aren't wrapped:

[garrick at hpcjr-master torque-1.2.0p6]$ grep -r LOGLEVEL . | wc -l
    314
[garrick at hpcjr-master torque-1.2.0p6]$ grep -r log_record . | wc -l
   1302

I'm not aware of any specific guidelines for what should be logged at
each level.  It would be quite a project to design and impliment such a
beast.  (btw, maui needs this too)

University of Southern California