[torqueusers] Excessive stat() calls on nonexistent files

Rick.Ingham at expeditors.com Rick.Ingham at expeditors.com
Thu Sep 1 12:52:39 MDT 2005

This was a truss on pbs_mom.  I'm becoming suspicious this is a result of
our use of Active Reasoning to log/audit file system activity on our
systems.  It's looking to me like Active Reasoning is doing this
vicariously when trapping system calls, and that pbs_mom likely doesn't
even know it's happening.

--- Rick Ingham, Expeditors Int'l / IS
---- RICK.INGHAM at EXPEDITORS.COM  (206) 674-3400 x3284   FAX  246-3197

             Garrick Staples
             <garrick at usc.edu>
             torqueusers-bounc         torqueusers at supercluster.org
             es at supercluster.o                                          cc
             rg
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [torqueusers] Excessive stat()
             09/01/2005 11:43          calls on nonexistent files
             AM

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 11:30:21AM -0700, Rick.Ingham at expeditors.com
alleged:

> Anyone know what is causing pbs_mom to do this?  These files do not exist
> on our system.  What are they?
>
>  fstat64(5, 0xFFBFF0B0)                   = 0
>  stat("/opt/ARProbe/log/pflag/FileRunning.living.1122", 0xFFBFF2D0) = 0
>  stat("/opt/ARProbe/log/pflag/FileRunning.configChange", 0xFFBFF2D0)
Err#2
>  ENOENT
>  stat("/opt/ARProbe/log/pflag/FileRunning.debug", 0xFFBFF2D0) Err#2
ENOENT
>  stat("/opt/ARProbe/log/pflag/FileRunning.pause", 0xFFBFF2D0) Err#2
ENOENT

This doesn't look like anything in TORQUE.  What process are you
stracing?

University of Southern California
(See attached file: att2ziq7.dat)