[torqueusers] output/error file size limit?

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Fri Oct 28 09:04:24 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 15:32 +0100, gianfranco sciacca wrote:
> We are looking at a way to limit the size of the .oJOBNUM and .eJOBNUM
> files generated by Torque without limiting the "real output" eg root
> files. In the odd case these files could grow so much they disrupt
> the operation of the compute node they run on.
>
> I looked at the man page for pbs_resources_linux and it has an option
> listed  as  "file      The  largest  size  of any single file that may be created
> by the job.  Units: size.
>
> If I interpret this correctly, it that looks like it limits ALL output
> which is not very useful for our purpose. Is my interpretation correct, if
> yes, is there any other option to achieve the wished limitation?

I don't think that limits the aggregate amount of output, just the
maximum size of any one file.  The code uses setrlimit(RLIMIT_FSIZE,...)
to accomplish this.  However, I'm not sure if this limit would apply to
the spooled stdout and stderr files.

You could try setting quotas on $PBS_HOME/spool on each of the compute
nodes, if the OS and filesystem you're using support them.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701