[torqueusers] Altix cpusets

John Dalton John.Dalton at utas.edu.au
Thu Oct 27 22:29:53 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 13:33 +1000, Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:40 am, Garrick Staples wrote:
>
> > While we're on the subject, that cpuset code is Linux-specific, right?
>
> It's Altix specific I believe.
>
> There is also now a kernel implementation of cpusets that is significantly
> different to the older Altix version, I don't know if SGI are going to pick
> that up or stick to their API..

On systems running a 2.6 kernel (SLES9/PP4 in my case) the API has
changed a fair bit.  The older support in earlier ProPacks was I think
intended to follow the IRIX cpuset API as closely as possible.

On my system there's documentation which describes the new API in
detail, including comparisons with the cpuset implementations on IRIX
and Linux 2.4.  It's located at:
  /usr/share/doc/packages/cpusets/cpuset.html

I had a think about trying to port torque to the newer API myself, but
figured if I waited a bit somebody with more experience in this area
would do it for me. ;)

Yours,

John

--