[torqueusers] local scratch space allocation

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Oct 27 20:07:13 MDT 2005

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 04:39 am, Garrick Staples wrote:

> Instead, I'm having MS create the dir at the initial job commit, before
> the sisterhood is joined.  MS will always create $tmpdir, while the
> sisters will simply create it if it doesn't already exist.

Hmm, is there any reason to check if it exists ?

I'm just thinking that NFS can sometimes take a little time to catch up
leading to a possible race condition if you did check, whereas mkdir(2) is
(should be) atomic and will simply fail if the directory already exists.

So you could create the directory anyway on all and if you get EEXIST
continue, otherwise deal with whatever else happened..

What do you think Garrick ?

cheers,
Chris (way behind with the list)