[torqueusers] local scratch space allocation

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Oct 21 12:39:32 MDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 10:09:30AM +0100, Steve Traylen alleged:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 04:26:18PM -0700 or thereabouts, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 05:35:17PM -0600, Dave Jackson alleged:
> > > Steve,
> > >
> > >   This patch looks broadly useful.  TORQUE 1.2.0patch 6 is already fully
> > > populated with a full slate of enhancements (thanks to USC and several
> > > other sites!) and is in testing.  We have included this patch in the
> > > 'contrib' directory and will get it rolled into the patch 7 release.
> >
> > I suddenly have need for this patch, but it seems that it never got
> > rolled in.  Unfortunately it doesn't apply anymore.
> >
> > I'd to revamp it for current TORQUE with one minor change:  as written,
> > only MS will make the tmpdir, instead I'd like it to check if the
> > filesystem is local or remote.  If it is remote, then only MS will make
> > it, if it is local, all MOMs will make it.
> >
> > "remote" will be defined as any filesystem with a ":" in the name and
> > the hostname isn't the local hostname, or the fstype is "smbfs", the
> > device starts with "//", and the hostname portion isn't the local
> > hostname.
> >
> > Does that sound reasonable to everyone?
>
> Hi Garrick,
>
>  Attached is a patch that builds against 1.2.0p6.

I appreciate the updated patch.  It has some drawbacks that I want to
fix before it can be rolled into CVS.  Most importantly, it doesn't work
for TM tasks.

I've dropped the idea of detecting local vs. remote filesystems because
that code is an OS-specific mess.

Instead, I'm having MS create the dir at the initial job commit, before
the sisterhood is joined.  MS will always create $tmpdir, while the
sisters will simply create it if it doesn't already exist.

Also, I'm not setting tmpdir_basename by default.  The admin must
configure it.  But as before, TMPDIR in pbs_environment exports it to
the job, but not create the directory; and $tmpdir in mom_priv/config
exports it and causes MOMs to create/remove it.