[torqueusers] Computational load on master node?

Tom Combs combs at magnet.fsu.edu
Tue Oct 18 12:34:50 MDT 2005

Hi,

I'm in the process of learning about clusters with the intent of
building a cluster using LAM/MPI and torque. Assuming that the master
node is not listed in the node list, does it carry any of the
computational load of jobs that are run through the queue? It is not
clear to me if the single threaded regions of a job are run on the
master node or not. I suspect that one of the computational nodes
assigned to a parallel job is assigned as the primary node where all
single thread work is done and the other nodes assigned to the job are
used for the parallel regions. Can someone clarify this for me?

Also, does Torque and LAM/MPI utilize a node comprised of dual
processor, dual core Opterons efficiently? Does one configure Torque to
see these nodes as containing 4 processors? Does a piece of MPI code
actually use both processors in a node or does it assign two separate
jobs to the node?

Thanks for helping a newbie!

Tom Combs                                  E-mail: combs at magnet.fsu.edu
National High Magnetic Field Laboratory    Phone: (850) 644-1657
1800 E. Paul Dirac Drive                   Tallahassee, FL 32310