[torqueusers] Job Priorities and maui with torque

Dave Jackson jacksond at clusterresources.com
Fri Oct 14 20:33:53 MDT 2005

Jeff,

  Sorry for the delay in responding.  Due to the inherent unfairness of
user specified job priorities, Maui was designed to disallow them with a
leaning towards using 'qualities of service' (or QOS).  If you would
like to enable user priority directly and not use the QOS's other
features, you can do something like the following:

-----
# maui.cfg

# create 'priority' QOS's
QOSCFG[q1] PRIORITY=100
QOSCFG[q2] PRIORITY=1000
QOSCFG[q3] PRIORITY=10000
QOSCFG[q4] PRIORITY=100000

# allow all users to user all 'priority' QOS's
USERCFG[DEFAULT] QLIST=q1,q2,q3,q4

# allow QOS priorities to adjust job priority
QOSWEIGHT  1
CREDWEIGHT 1
------

  If using recent TORQUE releases, users (or the job filter) can then
submit jobs using:

> qsub -l nodes=1,qos=q1 text.cmd

  If using Moab, the above is possible and you can also natively use
TORQUE job priorities by setting the USERPRIORITYWEIGHT parameter.

  Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks,
Dave