[torqueusers] performance problem on x86_64

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Oct 6 20:47:50 MDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 03:39:17PM -0600, Wightman alleged:
> Although my own system is MUCH smaller, it is x86_64 (mix of debian and
> fedora).  I see no slowdown at all with any client commands. (our other
> x86_64 systems include fedora4 and centos4...no reports of slowdown).

Thanks for looking into it.  Can you try something more diabolical?
Don't do this against a real pbs_server:

while :;do  for a in `seq 1 10`;do pbs_iff -t hpcjr 15001 && echo $a;done; sleep 1;done

You should see it print 1 through 10 instantly, sleep 1 second, and
loop.  On 64bit clients, it takes several seconds to get through the
first 10.

University of Southern California