[torqueusers] New: C scheduler -> maui help

Chris Johnson johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Mon Oct 3 11:49:00 MDT 2005

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Paul Raines wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Chris Johnson wrote:
>
> >     Hi again,
> >
> >     Still trying to duplicate existing C scheduler functionality in
> > maui here.  So far so good.
> >
> >     The C scheduler allows Torque to have queue priorities.  Example,
> > two queues, a and b, with priorites a 10 an b 20.  If I submit jobs to
> > both, those in b will be run first.  If jobs from a are running, the
> > next job to run will be from b in there are any.
> >
> >     I was hoping that it would be as simple as
> >
> > CLASSCFG[a]  PRIORITY=10
> > CLASSCFG[b]  PRIORITY=20
> >
> > but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Any ideas?  Help appreciated as
> > always.
>
> What do you mean by not always the case?  Does a 20:10 priority ratio more
> likely mean 20 jobs from b will run for every 10 in a?  Not just that all
> b will run before a.

     The way we have it currently working it is a simple straight forward
priority.  The jobs in a queue with priority 40 will be scheduled before
any in a queue with priority 30 as an example assuming jobs in both.

     The CLASSCFG config parameter doesn't seem to be doing this.
Doesn't seem to be doing anything even remotely similar.  Still
reading.

Chris Johnson               |Internet: johnson at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Systems Administrator       |Web:      http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/~johnson
NMR Center                  |Voice:    617.726.0949
Mass. General Hospital      |FAX:      617.726.7422
149 (2301) 13th Street      |The future ain't what it used to be.
Charlestown, MA., 02129 USA |  Yogi Berra.