[torqueusers] help with use of PVM with Torque

Egan Ford egan at sense.net
Wed Nov 30 16:51:20 MST 2005

Here is what I use (or did in 2002, YMMV):

#!/bin/ksh
#PBS -l nodes=4:ppn=2,walltime=00:01:00
#PBS -N pvmprog

cd $PBS_O_WORKDIR

PVM_ROOT=/usr/share/pvm3
PVM_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh
PATH=$PVM_ROOT/lib:$PATH
export PVM_ROOT PVM_RSH PATH

PVM_NP=$(wc -l $PBS_NODEFILE | awk '{print $1}')
PVM_HOSTS=""
for i in $(sort $PBS_NODEFILE)
do
        PVM_HOSTS="$PVM_HOSTS,$i"
done
PVM_HOSTS=$(echo $PVM_HOSTS | sed 's/^,//')

#start pvmd and wait
pvmd $PBS_NODEFILE &
sleep 10

~/bin/pvmprog pass $PVM_NP

#wait and kill pvmd
sleep 5
kill -TERM %1

#get my logs
echo "PVM Logs"
HOSTS=""
for i in $(sort $PBS_NODEFILE | uniq)
do
        $PVM_RSH $i cat /tmp/pvml.$(id -u) | sed "s/^/$i:/"
        $PVM_RSH $i rm -f /tmp/pvml.$(id -u)
done

Ping me if you cannot get this to work and I will test on my system.