[torqueusers] Problems with output on very short jobs

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Nov 25 11:37:33 MST 2005

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 05:34:53PM +0100, Ronny T. Lampert alleged:
> Hi,
>
> a user of mine is having problems with PBS's .out and .err files on very
> short jobs (5 seconds at peak) - they are simply empty or non-existant.
>
> mom is using a $usecp directive. Torque is 1.2.0p5.

Lots and lots of bugfixes since then.

> Job script looks like:
> ---
> eval "HResults -PARAMS > output.eval && hresults2pvset.pl output.eval
> -PARAMS 1> OUTPUT 2> OUTPUT2"
> sleep 5
> ---

The job doesn't print anything to stdout or stderr so I would expect
empty output files.

> I'm somewhat suspecting a race condition as the used.mem attributes are also
> "0".

You won't see any usage until the job has run at least $check_poll_time
seconds.

> Is there any known problem with redirecting the stdout/stderr in job scripts?
> Has anything changed regarding the output-engine in more recent versions (so
> I might bite the bullet and upgrade) ?

There's nothing wrong with redirecting output in your script, other than
TORQUE doesn't know about those files and won't transfer them for you
unless you list them as stageout files.

University of Southern California