[torqueusers] ARP table configs

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Nov 21 15:02:33 MST 2005

Ole and I were talking about various ways to deal with the Linux ARP
table on larger networks.  I couldn't remember the exact details of my
config at the time but promised to send it to the list.

Here's my sysctl.conf lines that increase the size of the kernel's arp
table and increase the timeouts to 24 hours:

net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh1 = 4096
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh2 = 4096
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh3 = 4096
net.ipv4.neigh.default.base_reachable_time = 86400
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_stale_time = 86400

University of Southern California