[torqueusers] file size limited 2GB

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Nov 4 12:09:36 MST 2005

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 11:52:33AM +0800, wzlu alleged:
> Dear All,
>
> I have a cluster using Redhat 7.3, OpenPBS-2.3.16 and maui-3.2.5p2.
> User can login computing node and create file more then 2GB.
> But user submit job to computing node, the job cannot create file more 2GB.

This list is for TORQUE, not RedHat or OpenPBS, but I'll do my best...

I don't think RH7.3 had very good large file support.  I recall having
lots of problems with RH7.2, it was one of the main reasons I upgraded
to RHEL3 (that, and the lack of security updates).  But I could be wrong
since I never actually used RH7.3.

In TORQUE, the MOM only sets RLIMIT_FSIZE if the job has a "file"
resource limit in the job request.  Otherwise, it is up to the system
defaults.

You might want to grep through the OpenPBS source for 'setrlimit' and
'RLIMIT_FSIZE' to see if the behaviour is different.

> I also used command "ulimit -a" check the file size.
> User login computing node, "ulimit -a" show the file size is unlimited.
> But submit job script to run "ulimit -a" show the file size is
> 2097151(blocks).

When users login directly, how are they logging in?  Do rsh and ssh give
you the same results?  If you are using ssh with priviledge seperation,
system defaults might not be getting applied.

And check /etc/security/limits.conf.

University of Southern California