[torqueusers] OpenPBS to Torque upgrade

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun Mar 6 22:28:34 MST 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 02:38 am, jason.depaul at americas.bnpparibas.com wrote:

> Can anyone give me some insight on how I should go about migrating?  Or any
> issue's I may run into...

There is one very important change that happened between OpenPBS and Torque
and that is that the maximum length of a PBS Job ID was increased to 6 digits
(my fault I'm afraid!).  This means that when you upgrade you need to make
sure you've got absolutely no jobs queued as when you restart the PBS server
it will not adopt them and you'll panic about where all your jobs have gone!

I know I did. ;-)

> Should  I remove the existing pbs installation before building torque?

That probably doesn't matter too much one way or the other, Torque should
install over the top of the old one.

> If I upgrade the pbs_mom nodes one-by-one can they still talk to the old
> OpenPBS server, or do I need to upgrade everything at one time....

If you're upgrading to the current release 1.2.x then I think you're going to
be safest making sure there are no jobs running OR QUEUED and then stopping
OpenPBS completely, installing Torque and then restarting it.

cheers,
Chris