[torqueusers] hostname confusion

xuehai zhang hai at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 4 13:33:41 MST 2005

Hi all,
I've set up a small 3-node cluster. One node plays the role as the head node, which has two network
interfaces. Its eth0 has a public IP address while eth1 is assigned a private IP address
(192.168.255.1 in my configuration). The other two nodes acts as the worker nodes and each has only
1 network interface with a private ip address (192.168.255.1 and 192.168.255.2 in my config). I run
the PBS server/scheduler/mom on the head node and PBS mom on two worker nodes.

My question is, how should I config the head node's /etc/hostname, $PBS_HOME/server_name, and
$PBS_HOME/server_priv/nodes files? I got a hostname for its public ip from our administrator and I
generate a hostname for its private ip address (put to /etc/hosts file on all the nodes because it
is not handled by DNS). Which one should I put to the /etc/hostname and $PBS_HOME/server_name?
Should I make the hostname for the private ip same as the hostname for the public ip?

I am really confused about it. Thanks in advance for your clarification.

Xuehai