[torqueusers] Output capture problem

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Jun 30 21:02:44 MDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 07:32:28PM -0700, Garrick Staples alleged:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:50:59AM +0200, Enrico Morelli alleged:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I have a cluster with torque torque-1.2.0p2 and maui  3.2.6p13 and I'm
> >  trying to catch the calculations output.
> > If I use a job script with the  directives like
>
> > #PBS -j oe
> > #PBS -o job.out
> > the file job.out  isn't create.
>
> This is telling pbs to merge stdout into the stderr stream, but defines an
> output file for the non-existant stdout stream.  You might actually want "-j
> eo".

I just double checked this stuff and my understanding of "oe" was backwards.
Those options will cause a single stdout file to be created in $PBS_HOME/spool
on the execution which will be copied to job.out after the job completes.

If that isn't working, then rcp or ssh isn't setup correctly, or you need to
use the $usecp option in mom's config.

> > The only way to have some output is to use the directives:
> > #PBS -j oe
> > #PBS -k oe
> > that creates a file script.oNJOB in the home directory.
>
> -k tells pbs to create the files directly in your home directory.  IIRC, it
> overrides -o and -e, but I'd have to check the code again to be sure.
>

> > My questions are:
> > 1) Why the -o doesn't works?
>
> Just for fun, try it again without -j or -k.
>

> > 2) Why the option -k write the output files in the home directory also
> > if the "qstat -f" command displays
> > Error_Path = athlon.cluster.net:/home_n10/zntA/DYANA/PBSTEST/run.e80
> > Output_Path = athlon.cluster.net:/home_n10/zntA/DYANA/PBSTEST/run.o80
>
> I'm pretty sure -k overrides -o and -e.

I confirmed that -k does override -o and -e.  And I also found that this
plainly stated in the qsub manpage :)