[torqueusers] Output capture problem

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Jun 30 20:32:28 MDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:50:59AM +0200, Enrico Morelli alleged:
> Dear all,
>
> I have a cluster with torque torque-1.2.0p2 and maui  3.2.6p13 and I'm
>  trying to catch the calculations output.
> If I use a job script with the  directives like

> #PBS -j oe
> #PBS -o job.out
> the file job.out  isn't create.

This is telling pbs to merge stdout into the stderr stream, but defines an
output file for the non-existant stdout stream.  You might actually want "-j
eo".

> The only way to have some output is to use the directives:
> #PBS -j oe
> #PBS -k oe
> that creates a file script.oNJOB in the home directory.

-k tells pbs to create the files directly in your home directory.  IIRC, it
overrides -o and -e, but I'd have to check the code again to be sure.

> My questions are:
> 1) Why the -o doesn't works?

Just for fun, try it again without -j or -k.

> 2) Why the option -k write the output files in the home directory also
> if the "qstat -f" command displays
> Error_Path = athlon.cluster.net:/home_n10/zntA/DYANA/PBSTEST/run.e80
> Output_Path = athlon.cluster.net:/home_n10/zntA/DYANA/PBSTEST/run.o80

I'm pretty sure -k overrides -o and -e.

> 3) Why the writing of the output in the files require some times,
> there is a flag to reduce the caching?

Depending on these various options, pbs_mom will either write the output to
files in $PBS_HOME/spool/ and then copy files to their final destination after
the job ends, or write the output directly to the named output files.  I'm not
sure which scenerio is causing you to ask this question.  If it's the later,
then it's just NFS behaving normally.

And quite frankly, I'm not sure all of these options are all working correctly.

University of Southern California