[torqueusers] TORQUE documentation re-write

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Jun 30 16:48:47 MDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 01:31:40PM -0600, Dave Jackson alleged:
> Greetings,
>
>   We are in process of re-writing the TORQUE documentation to improve
> both organization and coverage.  The online admin manual has evolved
> from simply covering improvements over OpenPBS to being a more full
> admin manual.  As we undertake this process, we are very interested in
> suggestions.  Which areas most need expansion?  Which need cross-
> referencing?  Where are examples and case studies most needed?  Which
> 'peer' tools most need integration guides?

Make it a wiki! :)

What do resources_{available,default,max,min}.* really mean on a queue?  On a
server?  How do they restrict or augment jobs?  "nodes" vs. "nodect" vs.
"ncpus"?  How does maui interpret these configs?

How do you tie nodes to a queue?  This is often asked and there's a few
different ways to do it.  I know my favorite way of doing it, but what are the
pros/cons of the others?

My users are often confused by the qsub options that deal with output files:
-k, -j, -o, and -e.  Things like using -k can override -o is not documented and
confuses them.

In 5.1monitoringresources.shtml...

The Description for "arch" is wrong.  It actually reports the OS, not the
processor architecture (though it would be nice if we had seperate "arch" and
"osname" attributes, but that's another conversation).

The Details for "state" is missing "job-exclusive" which means that all
available virtual processors are assigned to jobs.

Slightly offtopic, but for the maui docs...

One thing that has often confused me in the past is how maui interprets and
enforces torque configs.  The various torque manpages often state that a
particular attribute is "Advisory to the Scheduler, not enforced by the
server".  It would be nice if the *maui* docs detailed which attributes are
recognized and how they are used.

University of Southern California