[torqueusers] PBS_Server: pbsd_main, hostname issues

Dave Jackson jacksond at clusterresources.com
Thu Jun 30 12:30:20 MDT 2005

Josh,

  TORQUE does not just look at /etc/hosts.  Internally, it is using the
calls gethostbyname() and gethostbyaddr().  To start up, TORQUE requires
both forward and reverse name lookup.  Usually, what happens is that
sites have forward name lookup (host to ipaddr) set up via DNS but do
not have reverse name lookup (ipaddr to host).  When /etc/hosts is
setup, both forward and reverse name lookup are handled by default.

  We will enhance the messages TORQUE returns on failure to make problem
isolation easier.

Dave