[torqueusers] How to achieve round robin queueing

Stephen J. Scheck ss543 at cornell.edu
Tue Jun 28 13:28:38 MDT 2005

Hello,

I have a cluster of 9 nodes and head node which is also configured to
run jobs. All nodes are listed in the server nodes file. Each has 2
processors. I am running the default torque FIFO scheduler. I am trying
to achieve the following queueing policy: I want no more than one job
per processor to run on each node, and when jobs are submitted, I would
like the job to run first on a node which has no jobs currently running.
So each time a job is submitted, it should choose a node without any job
running, then when all nodes have one job, it should schedule the job on
the 2nd processor of a node, etc.

To make this work, I added the following to the server configuration:

set server node_pack = False

Unfortunately, what is happening is that all jobs are being scheduled on
one node, usually the first listed in the nodes file, but sometimes on
other nodes.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

-sjs