[torqueusers] Jobstarter

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Wed Jul 27 11:55:23 MDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-27 at 10:35 -0800, Rayson Ho wrote:
> Exporting the variable at the time of job submission is not what I want. I
> want to have a script that is run before the job, and sets up the right
> environment variables, and then starts the job.
>
> AFAIK, the job is not a child of the prolog, and thus wouldn't get the
> environment variables from there.

It has always been the case with PBS/TORQUE that the job is a child of
pbs_mom rather than the prologue.

The way we've always handled this is to have a script that gets sourced
by /etc/profile or /etc/cshrc that sets up the environment variables we
want, and then made sure that PBS jobs thought they were logins.  Pete
W.'s shell-use-argv patch seems to help with this, but it doesn't seem
to have been applied to TORQUE; see http://www.osc.edu/~pw/pbs/ for
details.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701