[torqueusers] Torque and NIS

Ashley Wright a2.wright at qut.edu.au
Wed Jul 13 22:47:39 MDT 2005

Hi,

Been looking into this a little bit more, and I am currently stumped.
/etc/passwd only has the account <1000 (ie system accounts), NIS (as
confirmed by getent) only has accounts > 1000.
When I submit a qsub a job I get the error message about unable to find
user 'wright4' in password file.
I can log into the account, I can query the NIS server and see the user
information.

If I add the line to the /etc/passwd file like so
getent passwd wright4 >> /etc/passwd
Then pbs works like I would expect.

I have read the man page for getpwnam() and I get the following
    " The getpwnam() function returns a pointer to a structure
containing the
       broken out fields of a line from /etc/passwd for the entry that
matches
       the user name name. "
This seems to indicate to me that the function only reads /etc/passwd.

Is there something special that needs to be done.

This problem is really bugging me,
any help is appreciated,
Ashley