[torqueusers] Submitting Jobs on alpha-linux cluster

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at comcast.net
Mon Feb 21 15:42:54 MST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "David LeBard" <david.lebard at asu.edu>
To: <torqueusers at supercluster.org>
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: [torqueusers] Submitting Jobs on alpha-linux cluster

> Update to what?  I thought 7.2 was the latest redhat linux for alpha
> processors.

Update to Opteron CPU's so you can use an x86_64 distribution? Alphas are
really end-of-life for a lot of operating systems. There is something afoot
to port Fedora Core to it, mentioned at
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2003-October/msg00159.html,
but I don't recommend Fedora Core for clusters because it tends to be a bit
too cutting edge. I also hope that you're keeping an eye on
www.fedoralegacy.org to get any available security updates, at least by
being able to recompile SRPM's as needed for security updates.

But I recognize that if you're stuck with the hardware, it may be tough to
upgrade.