[torqueusers] Torque, Maui and Debian

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Feb 4 02:53:20 MST 2005

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 12:33:40AM +0100, Steffen Moeller alleged:
> Hello,
>
> I am aware of several efforts, including my own, to create packages of
> Torque and Maui for the Debian Linux distribution.
>
> Would it be in sync with the Torque and Maui licenses to have such
> packages distributed by Debian? Maybe with the explicit demand to register
> online prior to the use of the software which could be made to appear
> during installation?

IMHO, Torque is definitely "free" by any F/OSS definition so Debian shouldn't
have any problem redistributing it.

But Maui's license has some restrictions that I don't think will work with
Debian.  I don't think there's anything specifically _prohibiting_
redistribution by Debian, but I think the limitations on commercial use and
software modifications will conflict with Debian's policy.  Mandrake has it in
their contrib (user-contributed and unsupported) repository and they correctly
abide by the license terms by printing the credits when the rpm is installed.

Feel free to ignore everything I just said because I'm just a torque/maui
"user".  I don't work for or represent CRI.

University of Southern California