[torqueusers] stdout, stderr permissions after sys_copy

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Dec 16 19:52:09 MST 2005

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 09:32:42AM -0600, Jeffrey B. Reed alleged:
> Our flow requires that a project group has read access of the output of
> jobs. Currently these files are copied with the mode 0600.  The issue as I
> see it is:
>
> If you are using NFS and have the appropriate $usecp set, sys_copy will use
> for example:
>
> /bin/cp -r TORQUE_SPOOL/spool/45.server.m.OU /nfs/location/output-file
>
> If the destination file does not exist, /bin/cp will use the same mode as
> the source file.  In this case 0600.  This mode is forced most likely due
> to the fact that there is no guarantee that the output will be delivered
> and it would be a security risk to have it set any other way.  I
> experimented a little and the only solutions I came up with are:
>
> 1: Ignore security issues
> Discover the submitter's umask and set that umask in start_exec.c
>
> 2: Use an alternate local copy command
> Discover submitter's umask and use that corresponding mode to call a copy
> like application that supports modes.  For example: /usr/bin/install
> --mode=<mode>
>
> I assume this is not a issue with pbs_rcp or scp, because a proper login
> occurs on the remote node prior to the copy.

Sounds like a bug with our rcp/scp args!  We need to be using -p too.

I understand that is counter to your requirement, but for the general
case, rcp/scp end up with the wrong perms.

> Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?

I wonder if it would be easier to handle this output within your job
script.  Just redirect the required output to a file and use stageout.

University of Southern California