[torqueusers] Upgrade torque and continue

Lennart Karlsson Lennart.Karlsson at nsc.liu.se
Thu Dec 15 01:46:34 MST 2005

> Also, how to reset the job id numbering?

Setting to zero:

# qterm -t quick
# /usr/pbs/sbin/pbs_server -t create

Continue by killing the pbs_server and starting the pbs service again on
the server.

Please note that you do not any longer get unique job numbers in your logs,
which might be a problem for job accounting.

Setting job id numbering to an arbitrary number is more difficult, but for the
above-mentioned reasons you may still want it to get going with the same
number sequence when you change from e.g. PBSpro to Torque (the Torque
pbs_server does not understand the PBSpro database):

Create a special pbs_server binary, by changing the increment-by-one
job id algorithm in Torque to a setting-to-a-special-number algorithm.
E.g., if the jobid-incrementing code in source file req_quejob.c is

	if (++server.sv_qs.sv_jobidnumber > PBS_SEQNUMTOP)
	      server.sv_qs.sv_jobidnumber = 0;  /* wrap it */

then change it to e.g.

	server.sv_qs.sv_jobidnumber = 288465;

After the change, you

# qterm -t quick
# make
# make install		# installing the special pbs_server
# service pbs start	# or whatever you do to start your pbs service

and queue one single job more (to run the jobid-setting code), and do

# qterm -t quick

and change the code back to the original, continue with new (or old) sequence
numbers:

# make
# make install		# Installing the back-to-original pbs_server
# service pbs start	# or whatever you do to start your pbs service

It would be nice with a qterm command that sets the sequence number to
whatever you like, but I cannot see that I would use it much.

By the way, in my version of Torque PBS_SEQNUMTOP is defined to 99999999.

   http://www.nsc.liu.se