[torqueusers] scheduling on CPU usage

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Dec 8 23:59:07 MST 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 11:03:25AM -0700, Lloyd Brown alleged:
> Admittedly, I'm pretty new to the Torque admin world, but is there a
> simple way schedule jobs to a node based on the CPU usage?  I've found
> the "$ideal_load" and "$max_load" parameters for the MOM, but, unless
> I'm mistaken, these appear to refer to the load average, not the CPU
> usage.  Load Average and CPU usage are often related, but not always.

I'm not aware of any scheduling policies that use CPU usage instead of
load average.  But you might want to check with moab, it is pretty
flexible.

> Just for background, I'm working on a project that needs to schedule
> jobs whose length (walltime, etc.) varies widely, but will very often be
> a fraction of a second.  We still want to get as much utilization out of
> the compute nodes as possible, but are finding that there's a lot of
> unused cycles since the jobs are so short in relation to the apparent
> timing resolution.  If anyone has any other ideas for scheduling large
> numbers of extremely short jobs, I'd listen to those too.

Using TORQUE jobs for tiny walltimes is definitely not an efficient
solution.  Other resource managers, and TORQUE some time early next year,
have "job arrays" for running large numbers of small tasks either as
a single job or as a logical group of jobs.

University of Southern California