[torqueusers] General question about node specific queues

Jeffrey B. Reed jeff.reed at intrinsity.com
Thu Dec 8 14:47:04 MST 2005

Resource Manager: torque-torque-2.0.0p2
Scheduler: maui-3.2.6p13

I have downloaded, built, installed, and configured the above on a small
cluster.  I have submitted jobs successfully, but I am very confused on how to
set up a queue that only submits to particular nodes on the cluster.

I assume,

Qmgr: set queue linux resources_default.opsys = linux

will create a queue that the scheduler will only submit the job to a node that
has the resource opsys=linux.  Is this true?

The documentation speaks about the 'software' resource.  How, specifically, is
this resource set for a node?  How specifically is this set as a default
resource for a queue?

I have looked into Node Features and Generic Consumable Resources, but once
again I do not understand on how to set the default resources of a queue to a
specific node property.

Scenario I.

Lets say I have a queue named verilog and I want the scheduler to submit jobs
only on nodes that have the verilog software installed.

How do I specify the queue in qmgr?
How do I specify the node in qmgr?
Is there maui.cfg edits needed?

Scenario II.

Lets say I have a queue named sl3 and I want the scheduler to submit jobs only
on nodes running the sl3 operating system.

How do I specify the queue in qmgr?
How do I specify the node in qmgr?
Is there maui.cfg edits needed?

Jeff