[torqueusers] pbs_iff authentication on HPUX

Lippert, Kenneth B. Kenneth.Lippert at alcoa.com
Thu Dec 8 13:10:17 MST 2005

Me again,

Many red herrings and wild gooses later I think I have *really* isolated
the problem this time.  <again?!>  <This time FOR SURE!>

The client machine from which the pbs_iff test works, but the other
commands (pbsnodes, qstat, etc) fail with permission problems IS ON A
SEPARATE SUBNET from the server.  All the other machines are on the same
subnet.  This means the client has to go through a router to get to the
server.  Even though it is on a separate subnet, it has the same domain
(atc.alcoa.com) as all the others, and I have all host names fully
qualified wherever they appear.

When I do an nslookup from the server looking for the bad HP client, it
works fine and it looks no different than doing an nslookup from the
server to any of the other working clients.  However, a traceroute to
the HP client will show the additional step through the router.

I am going now to look at the code to try and see exactly how the
reverse lookup is done, and if it can be effected by this extra hop (I
am certainly no network expert, so excuse me if these are stupid,
obvious observations), but in the meantime I thought I would again throw
this out to the community and see if anyone else has any insights.

Thanks,
-k