[torqueusers] TMPDIR

Martin Schafföner martin.schaffoener at e-technik.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Dec 8 04:51:49 MST 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 11:30, Simon Robbins wrote:

> Torque then interpreted this as a cue to use "$TMPDIR" as the
> transient tmpdir for the job and deleted the contents when the job

That's what a temporary directory is supposed to be: Temporary storage,
subject to deletion.

> My suggestion is to rename the variable responsible for this
> behaviour to "PBS_TMPDIR".  I use the qsub wrapper script to define

I think the name should be kept TMPDIR. If that's what the admin wants (temp.
storage for PBS jobs in a certain place), than this is what should be done
without any special actions.

However, I consider the fact that Torque deletes user-defined tmpdirs as a
bug, too. Or maybe the behavior should be configurable as well.

Regards,
--
Martin Schafföner

Cognitive Systems Group, Institute of Electronics, Signal Processing and
Communication Technologies, Department of Electrical Engineering,
Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg
Phone: +49 391 6720063