[torqueusers] TMPDIR

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at uni.de
Wed Dec 7 09:21:24 MST 2005

> Unfortunately I have just had a user who was until
> now been innocently using $TMPDIR; torque deleted
> the contents of this directory when the job finished :-(
>
> What do people think about re-naming this variable?

I think users need to be educated about the meaning of TEMP.
They tend, however, to think about it as "additional storage they can use"
which it is NOT.

TEMP has always be under the influence of sudden removal, be it on Solaris
or on RedHat with tmpwatch.

Files in $TMPDIR are furthermore not staged by torque by default (which is
GOOD).

The variable should stay this way.

Cheers,
Ronny