[torqueusers] PVM, mpiexec, tm, and pbsdsh

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Dec 6 16:43:53 MST 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 03:35:00PM -0800, Michael Gutteridge alleged:
> I built pbsdsh with your patch.  As you said, it works, though I wasn't
> able to make it work as a drop-in to PVM_RSH.  I could be using it
> incorrectly.
>
> I would set "PVM_RSH" to <path_to_pbsdsh>/pbsdsh, then start pvm.  When
> I tried to add a host, I got complaints about "<hostname> not found".
> It looks like pbsdsh requires "-h" to be run on a single host.  PVM
> seems to issues a "system" call with the arguments being:

How about just this simple shell script:

#!/bin/sh
pbsdsh -h "$@"

That will keep the arguments the same as they were passed in from PVM.

> Is it worth munging up pbsdsh to be a syntactically-equivalent cousin to
> rsh, as in "pbsdsh <hostname> [arguments] <program>"?
>
> Anyway, thanks for the patches.  I'm getting a better Idea of how TM
> works through all this.  Writing a pvm hoster might not be too bad....

Thanks for playing with it.  I'm learning a lot about TM too.  I think
that ultimately, we'll have a seperate executable that replaces rsh.

University of Southern California