[torqueusers] PVM, mpiexec, tm, and pbsdsh

L.S.Lowe at bham.ac.uk L.S.Lowe at bham.ac.uk
Sat Dec 3 12:35:22 MST 2005

Yep, I've been looking at this for the last couple of days. One of my main
concerns is to get the accounting right, so that all the work done under
the PVM daemons gets accounted into the torque job. Normally with PVM, the
pvmd daemons are disconnected processes spawned by sshd or in.rshd, so
accounting for PVM work never finds its way into Torque.

So I've tried the following scenario and it seems to work .... so far!
In the user job:

         pbsdsh /path/to/pvmlisten someargs &
         export PVM_RSH=/path/to/pvmcaller
         ... start up PVM ...

The pbsdsh'd pvmlisten script sets up a listener on a high tcp port on
each worker. When the user job then starts up PVM, PVM uses the PVM_RSH
command for each added worker, so our pvmcaller calls through to each
pvmlisten, which starts the pvmd daemon with the no-fork option and the
arguments that the master pvmd passes on. There's some output from the
slave pvmd which finds its way back to the master. User PVM processes then
get hung off the worker's pvmd.

At the moment my pvmlisten and pvmcaller are bash scripts which make use
of the netcat/nc command. That's not ideal, but it works as far as I've
tested it - the hello-world PVM job! This is in testing on a cluster which
doesn't have rsh/ssh between workers.

Any comments/gotchas/ideas on a better way?

Lawrence Lowe.