[torqueusers] qstat showing wrong

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Aug 29 21:57:02 MDT 2005

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 02:23 am, Laurence Dawson wrote:

> Hertz is 100hz on both our x86 arch machines on a 2.4 kernel and  our
> powerpc 64 bit machines running a 2.6 kernel.

I think it's 1000 on a lot of architectures in 2.6.

Of course all this has changed with 2.6.13 - this is now a kernel configure
time option and now defaults to 250 for x86  http://lwn.net/Articles/149479/

This change has been in the offing for a while, see:

http://lwn.net/Articles/145973/

and in that article there's talk of the 'dynamic tick patch' going in, saying:

  If there is a consensus on this issue, it would appear to be that the real
  solution is the dynamic tick patch. By causing timer interrupts to happen
  only when there is actually something to be done, the kernel can
  simultaneously support higher-resolution timers and reduce the actual
  incidence of timer interrupts. No commitments have been made, but there
  seems to be a widely-held opinion that the dynamic tick patch will be merged
  once it has been sufficiently cleaned up; some architectures (e.g. ARM)
  already have it. To that end, Con Kolivas has posted a reworked version of
  that patch for review.

Don't know if that will confuse things more..

cheers!
Chris