node operations in qmgr [Was: Re: [torqueusers] 64 bit issues.]

Garrick Staples garrick at
Mon Aug 29 13:50:17 MDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 09:35:48PM +0200, Roy Dragseth alleged:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 23:44, Garrick Staples wrote:
> > Basicly, adding and removing nodes in qmgr is currently an unsupported
> > operation.
> So maybe the best strategy would be to use qmgr to add/remove nodes and then
> sync up with a pbs_server restart when done?  Would this ensure that all moms
> get the correct okclients list?

I really can't say at this time.  I haven't explored those portions of
the code yet.  It might work.  No gaurantees from me.

I'll explore it in p6.

With torque p5 on large clusters, it can take a very long time to
reestablish communication with all of the moms.  This should be much
much faster in p6.

> > Changing node attributes in qmgr works fine, though maui won't pick up
> > any removed attributes. ??Maui picks up new attributes fine, but you have
> > to restart it if you remove any attributes.
> Thanks for the info.  I'm the maintainer of the pbs/maui setup for the rocks
> cluster distribution and I'm trying to figure out a way to make it possible
> to set node properties for inhomogeneous clusters.

Hetergeneous arches running Linux has long been a pet peeve for me in
Torque.  It has an "arch" node attribute which should be useful for this
purpose, but it is set to the useless value of "linux".

University of Southern California