[torqueusers] Resources_List.ncpus & resources_assigned.ncpus meaning

Emir Imamagic eimamagi at srce.hr
Sun Aug 28 16:31:23 MDT 2005

Hi,

I'm using Maui 3.2.6p13 and torque_1.2.0p4 on dual processor cluster. I've
tried to find exact meaning of ncpus field but didn't find consistent
definiton.

Does it mean:
- total amount of cpus allocated to a job, or
- amount of cpus allocated to a job on a single node?

Furthermore, test in practice shown that none of these definition are
correct. I adjusted nodes $PBS_HOME/server_priv/nodes so the nodes have 4
cpus, and submitted two jobs:
- first demanding nodes=1:ppn=3, and
- second demanding nodes=1:ppn=2.

Command qstat -f reported for both of them:
Resource_List.ncpus = 1
Resource_List.nodect = 1

Command qstat -fQ reported that 2 cpus are occupied by the jobs in that
queue:
resources_assigned.ncpus = 2
resources_assigned.nodect = 2

I also tried setting ncpus explicity and the the values reported
correctly, but I only got one cpu allocated (in PBS_NODEFILE).
Furthermore, I found in previous mails, that this is not a preffered way
of allocating nodes for clusters and that one should use -l nodes=*:ppn=*
instead.

Is this normal behaviour?

If yes, is there some way to get number of cpus allocated to the jobs in
a queue (beside from calling qstat -f and parsing nodes=*:ppn=* and
queue=* for each job)?

Thanks in advance,
Emir Imamagic
University Computing Centre