[torqueusers] 64 bit issues.

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Aug 25 11:21:28 MDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 08:19:39AM +0200, Roy Dragseth alleged:
> Hi.
>
> Is it really correct that pbs_net_t is unsigned long as it is declared in
> net_connect.h?  Shouldn't it rather be u_int32?  An ip adress will never be
> more than 4 bytes, at least for ipv4.
>
> This doesn't matter for 32bit systems where long and ints are the same length,
> but for 64bit systems longs can be 64bit and you can get all sorts of
> problems.  I think we see this problem on our Itanium systems where we get a
> lot of im_eofs in the logs.  It might also creep into EMT64 and x86_64
> systems if you compile torque as a 64bit application.
>
> It will be a major job to clean up all this as pbs_net_t is used a lot of
> places.  But as 64bit systems are becoming the standard it probably needs to
> done.
>
> Any thoughts?

Without commenting on the merit of changing pbs_net_t, I don't think
this is causing im_eof messages.

How often are you seeing these errors?  Is it happening during specific
actions, like job startup, job shutdown?

University of Southern California