[torqueusers] Log file retention

Rick.Ingham at expeditors.com Rick.Ingham at expeditors.com
Fri Aug 19 08:55:27 MDT 2005

Thanks.  That's what I needed to know to take to my SysAdmin team.  They
were claiming PBS had a problem.

Turns out they were missing some of their standard stuff in a root crontab.

--- Rick Ingham, Expeditors Int'l / IS
---- RICK.INGHAM at EXPEDITORS.COM  (206) 674-3400 x3284   FAX  246-3197

             Troy Baer
             <troy at osc.edu>
             torqueusers-bounc         Rick.Ingham at expeditors.com
             es at supercluster.o                                          cc
             rg                        torqueusers at supercluster.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [torqueusers] Log file
             08/19/2005 07:48          retention
             AM

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 13:54 -0700, Rick.Ingham at expeditors.com wrote:
> The PBS daemons create log files in $PBSHOME/*_logs/YYYYMMDD.  Does
> PBS/Torque delete the old ones itself or is that something other
operating
> scripts need to do?

PBS/TORQUE does not automatically delete log files, nor should it IMHO;
that's a very site-specific policy.  The accounting logs in particular
are extremely useful for generating reports, statistical analyses, and
workload traces for Maui/Moab simulations.  (Can you tell I've been
working on exactly that this week? :)

At OSC, we've found it useful to compress log files that are much over a
year old, as they compress quite nicely.  We don't delete them unless
we're completely out of disk space on the filesystem they're on, though.

             --Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701