[torqueusers] Log file retention

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Fri Aug 19 08:48:22 MDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 13:54 -0700, Rick.Ingham at expeditors.com wrote:
> The PBS daemons create log files in $PBSHOME/*_logs/YYYYMMDD.  Does
> PBS/Torque delete the old ones itself or is that something other operating
> scripts need to do?

PBS/TORQUE does not automatically delete log files, nor should it IMHO;
that's a very site-specific policy.  The accounting logs in particular
are extremely useful for generating reports, statistical analyses, and
workload traces for Maui/Moab simulations.  (Can you tell I've been
working on exactly that this week? :)

At OSC, we've found it useful to compress log files that are much over a
year old, as they compress quite nicely.  We don't delete them unless
we're completely out of disk space on the filesystem they're on, though.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701