[torqueusers] problem with: set queue cfqroute_destinations=cfq@other.host

Daniel Widyono widyono at seas.upenn.edu
Sun Aug 14 20:21:02 MDT 2005

> Thousands of MOMs all multicasting their status would be aweful.  Multicasting
> is useful with 1 source and lots of "listeners".  TORQUE is the exact opposite:
> lots of sources and few listeners.

OK, broadcast?  I don't see how one broadcast per node is worse than 1 poll
by mom to each node, plus a response from each node (is that the correct
protocol?  that's based on what I see in logs).  I am very much interested in
learning the underlying theories (or even anecdotal evidence) which show one
inherently being less efficient than the other (i.e. worse at scaling).

Thanks for your reponse,
Dan W.

> Without node polling, MOM needs to keep track of multiple server connections
> and send updates to all servers that have "checked in" (and listed in
> $clienthost).  This will result in far better support than previously.

Or single broadcast, all servers who care will listen.