[torqueusers] dual core opterons

Stewart.Samuels at sanofi-aventis.com Stewart.Samuels at sanofi-aventis.com
Fri Aug 12 08:10:22 MDT 2005

Fellow torque users,

I'm curious if anyone is using dual - dual core AMD Opteron, nodes with torque and maui.  If so, I would like to know of any difficulties or problems you might have experienced that seem to be unique (non-Intel/Xeon) to the architecture.  Have you had any problems with cooling in packed rack clusters of 1U units?  Do they produce more heat than dual-single core units?  If so, is it significantly more or a small percentage per unit more?

Also, although the GHz range is less, how do these systems compare to Xeons?  Here I am interested in total performance of the 1U system than just the CPU clock rate.

Any experiences would be welcome.

               Stewart Samuels
               Infrastructure Evolution and Integration
               Scientific and Medical Affairs
               Sanofi-Aventis Pharmaceutical
               1041 Route 202-206
              Bridgewater, NJ  08807

              (908) 231-4762
              email:  Stewart.Samuels at Sanofi-Aventis.com