[torqueusers] Compiling 1.2.0p5 with Altix cpuset support

David Singleton David.Singleton at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 4 08:15:03 MDT 2005

I'm pretty sure cpusets changed dramatically for ProPack4 (2.6).
They actually work now :-)  More than that, they dont need a
special API.  You can manage cpusets through standard vfs
operations on (usually) /dev/cpuset/.

# ls /dev/cpuset/
total 0
0 cpu_exclusive  0 mems               0 pagecache_list   0 slabcache_local
0 cpus           0 mpi/               0 pagecache_local  0 tasks
0 mem_exclusive  0 notify_on_release  0 pbs/
# ls /dev/cpuset/mpi/
total 0
0 cpu_exclusive  0 mems               0 pagecache_local
0 cpus           0 notify_on_release  0 slabcache_local
0 mem_exclusive  0 pagecache_list     0 tasks
# cat /dev/cpuset/mpi/cpus
0-7
# cat /dev/cpuset/mpi/mems
0-3
# /bin/echo 1-5 > /dev/cpuset/mpi/cpus
# cat /dev/cpuset/mpi/cpus
1-5

Cheers,
David

Chris Samuel wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 12:27 pm, John Dalton wrote:
>

>>I've looked on an IRIX box and noticed that cpuset.h in /usr/include
>>and /usr/include/sys DOES define the missing things, so I'm wondering if
>>I'm missing something really obvious or maybe the Altix support isn't
>>really there at all?  Or perhaps it changed in ProPack 4 and nobody has
>>tried building on that yet?
>

> I would say it has changed in ProPack4 as it's mentioned in SGI's ProPack3
> docs at:
>
> http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=linux&db=bks&srch=&fname=/SGI_Admin/LX_Resource_AG/sgi_html/apa.html
>
> but not in their ProPack4 docs at:
>
> http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi/linux/bks/SGI_Admin/books/LX_Resource_AG/sgi_html/apb.html
>
> It's possible that this is a result of Andrew Morton not accepting all of
> Bull's original cpusets work into his kernel, which eventually propogated
> through to the mainline in 2.6.12-rc1.  Or maybe SGI didn't push their
> changes through to the mainline (or they got dropped/bounced).
>
> Certainly CPUSET_CPU_EXCLUSIVE is not in cpusets.h in the 2.6.12 kernel (which
> was the first mainline release with it folded in) according to:
>
> http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.6/12/include/linux/cpuset.h
>
> good luck!
> Chris

    Dr David Singleton               ANU Supercomputer Facility
    HPC Systems Manager              and APAC National Facility
    David.Singleton at anu.edu.au       Leonard Huxley Bldg (No. 56)
    Phone: +61 2 6125 4389           Australian National University
    Fax:   +61 2 6125 8199           Canberra, ACT, 0200, Australia