PBS environment variables (was Re: [torqueusers] Jobstarter)

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Wed Aug 3 17:53:28 MDT 2005

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:35 am, Rayson Ho wrote:

> Exporting the variable at the time of job submission is not what I want. I
> want to have a script that is run before the job, and sets up the right
> environment variables, and then starts the job.

Personally I would have thought that most of setting up the environment is
something that should be done in the users PBS script, as they would be the
ones who know what environment is necessary.

You can stash more generic things like PATH in /usr/spool/PBS/pbs_environment
on the compute nodes, but the downside to that is that if you alter it you
need restart the moms to get them to reread it. :-(

It'd be great if the mom's polled this file each time they started a job to
see if it had changed and reloaded it if it had, hint hint.. :-)

Chris