[torqueusers] Run a job in foreground mode ?

Lennart Karlsson Lennart.Karlsson at nsc.liu.se
Tue Aug 2 09:20:27 MDT 2005

Dear Mathieu Oudart,

To get your "foreground mode" I propose that you implement
a simple "qwait" command that waits for any job that you
give as a parameter to it.

E.g. if you want to run a job A, rename its output directory
and run a job B, you could make a script like this:

	qsub A > A.jobname
	qwait `cat A.jobname`
	mv A.results B.input
	qsub B > B.jobname
	qwait `cat B.jobname`

It is the same way you construct depend chains, but allowing
other types of actions between.

The qwait command could easily be constructed as a script that
goes in a loop, mostly sleeping and now and then checking for completion
by using the "qstat" command.

I prefer this method compared to adding a waiting option to "qsub", because a
waiting option might make a system user believe that she/he could
abort the batch job by hitting a control-C on her/his keyboard, the way it
works with interactive jobs and the "qsub -I" command.

Best regards,
   http://www.nsc.liu.se