[torqueusers] question about prologue / epilogue

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Apr 22 10:19:51 MDT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 04:13:33PM -0400, Glen Beane alleged:
> Occasionally a node issue can result in a job bouncing between the Q
> and R state  (torque tries to start the job, fails, waits, and tries
> again).  This goes on and on until we intervene.

Next time this happens, bump up the loglevel on the MS pbs_mom process with
SIGUSR1 to level 7 or 8, and send us a bit of the log that shows the loop.

> Will the prologue and epilogue get run every time?  I suspect the
> epilogue will only run when the job goes into the E state.

There are many steps to setting up a job, each of which is a possible failure
point.  If it fails at an early point, then prologue isn't run.  Epilogue is
always run if prologue was run.

University of Southern California